Evan Fay
Co-President
Ryan Merrin
Co-President
Maggie Bernal
Treasurer
Spencer Liberto
Secretary
Noah Jackson
Ministry Co-Chair
Elizabeth McMahon
Ministry Co-Chair
Henry Crotty
Service Chair
Ben Cruley
Social Co-Chair
Mary Mueller
Social Co-Chair
Ariana Mera
Social Media Chair
The Catholic presence at Syracuse University began in 1908, with the formation of the first Brownson Club. Activities were held in the former Knights of Columbus Hall on Larned Street, about a mile west of campus. In 1915, the Brownson Club officially changed its name to the Newman Club. The Newman Club and SU remained without a full-time Chaplain until 1935, when a 31-year-old priest by the name of Gannon Ryan was appointed by the Diocese of Syracuse. His appointment would change the course of the Catholic Ministry at SU.
Upon his appointment to the Chaplaincy, Fr. Ryan established his office in Hendricks Chapel. But the university refused to provide a meeting space for use by only Catholic students, aside from a room in Slocum Hall for Sunday Mass. After meeting with Bishop Walter Forey and prominent local laity, the St. Thomas More Foundation was launched, charged with raising funds to purchase a permanent home for the Newman Club. In 1939, the foundation discovered an old fraternity house located two blocks from campus. Just after moving into the new home, the board members came up with a fundraising idea. They held a ball for the students of the Newman Club, a tradition that lasted through to the 1990's. The ball was such an instant success, that in 1950, the foundation had accumulated enough money to put an addition on to the back of the house, which become a community room and a makeshift chapel.
On December 7, 1962, Msgr. Ryan died suddenly, at age 58. It was another young priest, Fr. Charles Borgognoni, who assumed responsibility for the ministry. Like his predecessor, Borgognoni changed the course of Catholic campus ministry at SU. Before his arrival, Borgognoni was the director of the Pompian Players, an amateur theater group that was run by a local parish. He kept his position as director and was able to get a portion of the proceeds to go to the Newman Center. He instituted an annual golf tournament, which continued until 2005. He also began the weekly pasta dinner, a tradition that still goes on to this day.
Perhaps his most successful, and longest lasting, legacy came in 1982. After the neighboring sorority house was demolished, Fr. Charles purchased the land for a massive new addition, the John G. Alibrandi Jr. Catholic Center. Despite being named a Monsignor by Bishop Francis J. Harrison, he always insisted on being called Fr. Charles. He stayed another nine years at Syracuse before retiring from active ministry.
Following Fr. Charles, the diocese appointed SUNY Oswego Chaplain Fr. Jim Lang as the new SU Chaplain. Fr. Lang kept many of the old traditions that both Monsignors Ryan and Borgognoni had started: the ball, the golf tournament (which was affectionately renamed the “Fr. Charles Open”), and the pasta dinners. Fr. Lang stayed at Alibrandi for eight years before he was appointed the Vicar for Parishes of the Diocese of Syracuse.
Following Monsignor Lang’s reassignment, the Franciscan Friars Conventual added the Alibrandi Catholic Center as part of their well-developed ministry on Syracuse’s Northside. The friars first appointed Fr. Adam Keltos to the Chaplaincy. Friar Adam's stay was short, only until June 2001, when he was commissioned to run The Franciscan Place at the Carousel Center Mall (now Destiny USA). At that time, Friar Tim Mulligan was named Chaplain. He immediately began to put new traditions in place. With the help of the students, Fr. Tim formed the concept of the More House, a Catholic living community for students. At the close of the Fall 2006 semester, Friar Tim departed SU and Friar John Ruffo was named interim Chaplain. On December 1, 2007, Friar Linus DeSantis was formally named the Catholic Chaplain.
Under the leadership of Friar Linus, the Alibrandi Catholic Center undertook two large capital ventures: a $150,000 capital campaign to fix the roof of the entire complex, and a $4 million capital campaign to renovate the center in its entirety.
On May 2, 2016, Friar Gerry Waterman was appointed the new Catholic Chaplain. Fr. Gerry breathed new life into the ministry, by bringing his enthusiasm and willingness to connect with students. Besides providing sacramental ministry, Fr. Gerry helped form young servant leaders. The servant leadership team helps to facilitate the Lake Retreat, which is geared toward incoming freshman, in order to help integrate them into the Catholic community. Fr. Gerry continued the long-standing tradition of hosting the high school confirmation retreats. The Thursday Mass & Dinner tradition has blossomed from the usual spaghetti and meatballs to a plethora of other foods. As an added plus, students “pay it forward” on the last Thursday of the month, by making sandwiches for the Assumption Food Pantry on the Northside of Syracuse.
Fr. Gerry established a working relationship with Syracuse University, allowing for a more seamless existence for the students wishing to spend time at the Catholic Center. The Catholic Center is card swipe accessible for students, allowing entrance to the Catholic Center for prayer, study or recreation (8 am – 11 pm). Fr. Gerry oversaw improvements to Catholic Center, the teardown of the More House, and the building of a new chapel.
After a decade of dedicated Franciscan service, Fr. Gerry received a new assignment to live in Washington, DC, while serving at The Franciscan Center in Baltimore and assisting with the Province's Development work. In August 2026, Fr. Emanuel ("Manny") Vasconcelos became the new Chaplain of The Catholic Center. A second friar, Br. Nicholas Romeo, is also assigned to the ministry, so that the friars can give stronger witness to the fraternal dimension of their life. The two friars join Patrick McLaughlin, the Campus Minister.